The Town of Mamaroneck, founded in 1661, is one of Westchester’s first settlements. From a modest population of seventy-seven settlers in 1698, the Town has become home to over 27,000 residents. Despite continuing growth the Town has retained its charm – cultivating the friendly communities that thrive within its beautiful landscape.
740 West Boston Post Road
Mamaroneck, NY 10543
Labor Day through Memorial Day
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Memorial Day through Labor Day
8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Mamaroneck, a Native American name translated as "the place where the sweet waters fall into the sea," is located just twenty-three miles north of New York City. Established at the mouth of a river and at the head of a harbor, John Richbell a London merchant living in Oyster Bay purchased the land in 1661 from the local Siwanoy Indians for a supply of tools, kettles, clothing and wampum.
Forty years later a town census recorded seventy-seven residents. Descendents of some of these original families still reside in the area. By 1700 the population had grown to eighty-four with most settlers living on the "East Neck," the present Village of Mamaroneck.
During the Revolutionary War Westchester County declared its neutrality and Mamaroneck was unhappily sandwiched between the Colonial Headquarters north of Peekskill and the British forces in New York City. Without either civil or military protection its residents were often pillaged by both sides.
On May 17, 1788, the Town of Mamaroneck was officially created by an act of the New York State Legislature. During the Civil War citizens were divided in their political affiliations, although a majority voted Democrat in the election 1860.
18th and 19th Century residents earned their livelihoods by farming, fishing, lumbering and milling. Manufacturing arrived with the 19th century and most was located (as it is today) in the Mamaroneck Village section. Larchmont Village and the Unincorporated Town were, and largely remain, residential.
On Christmas Day 1848 a New York & New Haven Railroad steam engine running along a single track made its first trip through Mamaroneck on its way to New York City. Despite the complaints of local farmers that the smoke was ruining their crops and the noise was frightening their livestock, forty years later there was a four-track line and a huge granite commuter station on Chatsworth Avenue. Mamaroneck became a popular summer residence for New York City’s wealthy residents and a haven for those fleeing polio and influenza epidemics. The Village of Larchmont incorporated in 1891 and the Village of Mamaroneck was incorporated as part of two towns, Rye and Mamaroneck in 1895.
The 1920’s were a time of growth and expansion which continued until the stock market crash of 1929. During the Great Depression so many families were forced to sell their homes that the Town prohibited "For Sale"signs from being displayed because they feared a panic. The Larchmont Aid Society was established at that time to offer charitable relief.
The end of World War II brought economic recovery, however, and by 1946 Westchester County was enjoy a housing boom. The Boston Post Road soon became inadequate for the increased volume of traffic. During the 1950’s the Town sold part of Larchmont Gardens Lake and its surrounding park to the Thruway Authority and the New England Thruway, originally called the Pelham-Port Chester Highway, opened in 1958. It carved a path through the Unincorporated Area.
Today , the Town of Mamaroneck, with its easy access to highways, airports and Metro North train service to New York City and Stamford is a prime suburban residential community.
For specific information regarding official residency, visit How do I know if I live in "The Town"?
The Town of Mamaroneck includes the entire Village of Larchmont (one square mile), the Unincorporated Area (5.7 square miles which is not part of either village), and that part of the Village of Mamaroneck west of the Mamaroneck River bordering Rye Neck (2.3 square miles). Both the incorporated villages and the unincorporated Town are self-governing and define the Town as a political and governmental subdivision of the State of New York.
The Town provides direct municipal services—police, fire and sanitation—to the residents of the Unincorporated area, and recreation, property assessment services and election supervision to both villages.
The Town of Mamaroneck elects its own officials, adopts its own laws, and manages its own finances under the direction of a Supervisor and four council members. The Supervisor is elected for a two-year term and the Council members for four years.
The Town Board is vested by New York State with control of legislation, appropriation of monies and decision-making on general local governmental policies. The Board authorizes the annual budget and the collection of taxes required to finance it. Each of the council members is appointed by the Supervisor to serve as liaison to several committees and commission.
The first Town Meeting was held on April 2, 1697 at the home of Ann Richbell, widow of Mamaroneck’s founder, John Richbell. Samuel Palmer, a local Quaker leader, was elected first Town Supervisor. Town meetings were conducted annually until 1863 and then resumed after the Civil War. Before the current Town Center at 740 West Boston Post Road was completed, Town meetings were held at the Weaver Street Firehouse.